As missionaries with Youth for Christ we have a calling to young people. Next Monday is our Global Day of Prayer and Fasting. For your benefit we have crafted a simple scripture-focussed prayer guide as you pray for lost teenagers.
In John 17:18-21, Jesus says,
“As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.”
In these verses we find we are sent like Jesus, sanctified like Jesus, prayed for by Jesus and made one with Jesus.
Sent & Sanctified [18 & 19]
In order to fulfill our calling we need to have an intimate relationship with the One who sent us – Jesus Christ our Lord. Our first priority will always be to be fully sanctified to HIM. Our freedom in the Lord is properly expressed when we walk in the fear of the Lord. We exhort you today to dedicate your life, time, ministry and family to the Lord. Walk in purity and His righteousness. Our power and prowess in ministry is built upon our intimacy and sanctification with God.
In this intimate relationship with Christ, we follow His example and today we focus on praying for others, primarily youth.
Acts 1:8 is a very helpful guide for my prayers. Using this verse I frame my prayer time, praying that the Gospel is shared with young people globally.
“but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
This verse speaks about being witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and unto the ends of the earth. We cannot all physically be witnesses in these places BUT our prayers can produce lasting fruit! Pray with me:
Jerusalem – Pray for your local area
- Personal prayer (lift your personal and ministry needs before the Lord in prayer).
- Pray for the Youth for Christ ministry you belong to. Pray with and for your ministry colleagues while praying for the salvation and growth of the youth in your local area.
- Teach and empower youth to pray for their friends to come to Christ.
Judea – Pray for your region, or another province in your nation
- I pray myself AND I pray with my Youth for Christ colleagues for political leaders, crime rate to come down, freedom of religion, etc.
- Pray for the young people of our country – salvation, spiritual growth, seriousness in education, live a pure and holy life, etc.
- Teach the young people I am working with to intercede for their friends and country.
Samaria – Pray for other countries
- I pray myself AND I pray with my Youth for Christ colleagues for other countries. We pray for political stability & growth, spiritual hunger for Jesus to increase, and missionaries to be sent.
- Pray for the young people of that continent – salvation, spiritual growth, open doors to present the Gospel to them, etc.
Ends of the world – Pray for countries you have never been to
- Pray that Youth for Christ ministry all over the world will make a difference in their areas
- Pray that new YFC ministries will start where there are none
- Pray for the protection of God to be on young people who reside in countries where it is dangerous to live out their faith.
- Pray that the Christian young people of the world will stand strong in their faith and grow in evangelistic passion.
Be one 
We have this unique opportunity to serve as brothers and sisters in Youth for Christ. Let us stand in unity together and in prayer for one another. On Monday let’s pray and fast (in unity) for worldwide youth evangelism.
My final exhortations are posed in questions. Do we love young people enough to intercede for them and to teach others to do likewise? Do we love one another so much that we are willing to intercede for each other more than we do now?
My prayers are with you,
Koekoes Van As
Africa Area Spiritual Formation Coordinator